Have you ever read the Oprah Magazine? I subscribed a few months ago, mostly because it was $5 a year from Amazon. When I finally got around to reading the May issue, I was struck by the number of columns that dealt with spirituality, and self improvement. It made me wonder why women seem to need to improve their inner beings every 5 minutes or every other page. The other thing I started to think about was where men go to get in touch with their inner selves. You sure wouldn’t find an issue of Sports Illustrated giving tips on improving anything but your luck in the fantasy leagues. Maybe Men’s Health, (no, that’s all about performance)?
- So do men get in touch with their inner beings?
- Where do they go for inspiration?
- Do you think they get it from watching their favorite team get trounced by their rivals?
- Do women give it to them by osmosis?
- What if they’re on their own?
- Why do women seem to need it so much more then men?
I posed the question to a few people, some men, some women. The most serene person I know reminded me that most of the top spiritual books are written by men (my theory: they know where the money is and that most self-help book are bought by women). She thinks that men read more of this than you might think, and most of the classes she’s been to have had just as many guys as women. Someone else told me that a lot of men aren’t spiritual until they go through a 12 step program. When I threw it up to my husband, he said that he always finds truth in music, and that he became self aware through therapy.
- But how much self awareness is enough and when is it too much?
- If you shirk from it does that make you less of a person?
- What does it mean if you find it in every other page of a magazine?
- If it’s so easy to put your life on the right track, why don’t we?
Just this week, through books and magazines, I’ve been invited to “wake up to reality” by asking four questions, to make my life a success by following The Success Principals, to reject self-loathing and treat myself with the “kindness and respect you would show your best friend”, to make the right thing the easy thing to do, etc. etc, and it’s only Monday! What do you think?
Don’t forget this week Blogging Boomers Carnival. There are some great posts, including donating your body to science.